Frequently Asked Questions


How do I become licensed with Butler University? 

To begin the process, please contact our licensing agency:

Learfield Licensing Partners
8900 Keystone Crossing - Suite 605

Indianapolis, IN 46240

Phone: 317-669-0808

Fax: 317-669-0810


What qualifies as a trademark of Butler University? 
Any mark, logo, symbol, nickname, letter(s), word(s) or combination of these that can be associated with the University qualifies as a trademark.  Click here to view the Official Style Guide for a complete listing.

Why have a licensing program? 
A trademark licensing program gives the University control over its logos and marks, thus, ensuring the quality and consistency of all of the University's merchandise. It also enables the University to generate revenue from the sale of merchandise bearing its logos and marks. The revenue is used to support and enhance many programs campus wide. Outside of the University, the trademark licensing program creates a cooperative and positive working relationship with the manufacturers and retailers who work with the University.

Can an alumni or student group sell products using the University's marks as a fundraiser? 
Yes, provided a licensed vendor is used to produce the merchandise.  The complete list is available by contacting Lindsay Martin (EMAIL), Manager of Sports Marketing & Promotions at 317-940-9468 or by visiting the Campus Requests portion of this website. 

What about using the University's name or logo on a website? 
Every use of the University's trademarks requires permission from the Butler Sports Marketing. The internet has made it easy for alumni, fans and supporters to build web pages with the University's name and logos, and the University appreciates this support. However, federal trademark laws require that the University control its name and marks; therefore, the University must be very selective in granting permission in these and all instances.  

Fans are welcome to use Butler-related images on social media, provided that it is for personal use only.  Accounts and pages that impersonate Butler University or the athletic department will be reprimanded according to the policy of the particular social media service. 

Who is licensed with the University? 
Either Butler Sports Marketing or Learfield Licensing Partners can provide a list of current licensees for the University's merchandise. It is typically much easier to work with an established University licensee than to try and license a new product or idea.

Can I alter a mark? 
No. Altering a mark would hurt its integrity. This would dilute the strength and value of the mark.  The Butler logo should only appear in black, white or PMS 2767 Butler Blue, unless written approval is requested from Butler Sports Marketing.

Where can I find licensed Butler product? 
Butler merchandise is available in numerous locations throughout Indianapolis, including but not limited to: Butler Bookstore, Hinkle Spirit Shop, UniversiTees, Meijer, Kohls, Walmart, Target, Old Navy, and Dick's Sporting Goods. 

I found a particular licensed product offered for another univeristy, but not Butler. How can I get a Butler version? Often, product lines are based on customer request. If you see an item in a store, but they do not carry a Butler version, we encourage you to take note of the item style and manufacturer.  Taking a photo of the item and its tags (both branded and price) would be helpful.  Then contact Butler Sports Marketing.  We will work with Learfield to see if adding Butler to that product line is feasible. 

I want to include a Butler logo on a graduation cake.  What do I do?
Complete the Bakery Request Form. Please note that requests may take up to a week to process during busy times (especially May).