Bulldogs Cruise To 4-1 Victory Over UW-Green Bay

Bulldogs Cruise To 4-1 Victory Over UW-Green Bay

Oct. 20, 2002

Final Stats

GREEN BAY, WIS. - The Butler men's soccer team won its fourth straight game with a 4-1 Horizon League victory over UW-Green Bay on Sunday. The win improves the Bulldogs' record to 8-7-2 overall, and 4-1-0 in the league, while the Phoenix fall to 3-10 and 1-3 in league action.

Butler got on the board in the 15th minute when captain Paul Vogel connected on a header off a corner kick by Andrew Pancio. The goal was the first of the season for Vogel. Less than four minutes later, the lead was 2-0 when forward Nick Pantazi headed a left-sided cross past UWGB keeper Trevor Commons.

The Phoenix broke the shutout in the 24th minute when Bati Tola found Kyle Sillars in stride. Butler's defense collapsed on Sillars, eventually found Clint Connealy flying down the left side and connected on a goal from 10-yards out.

The Phoenix nearly tied the contest in the 38th minute when freshman Nick Miller put a shot on goal off a header, but Butler defender John Mariscalco cleared the ball off the line to keep the lead. Butler owned a 14-5 shot advantage in the first half.

The Bulldogs got on the board again in the 42nd minute when Pantazi was on the left side of the penalty area and volleyed home a shot for his second goal of the contest to give Butler a 3-1 halftime advantage. The goal moved Pantazi into second place all-time on Butler's scoring list with 44 career goals. He is just six goals away from setting a new school record. Michael Mariscalco assisted Pantazi on the play, adding to his all-time assist record with 30 career assists.

UWGB challenged the Butler defense again in the 52nd minute. Nick Miller started off with a blistering shot from the right, forcing Butler goalkeeper Grant Barrie to make a solid save. But Barrie's deflection fell to Sillars, who also blasted a shot on frame, but Barrie was able to recover on the bang-bang play to halt the attack. In the 59th minute, UW-Green Bay's Miller was again denied a goal by a end-line save by a Butler defender.

With the Phoenix pressing on offense in hopes to cut into the lead, Butler tallied its final strike in the 85th minute when Harold Spooner flicked the ball forward to Michael Mariscalco, who took on UW-Green Bay's Commons, beating the goalkeeper to the left for the fourth and final goal for the visitors.

Barrie finised with four saves on the game, while Commons tallied six. Butler outshot the Phoenix 21-12 on the match.

The Bulldogs will return to action taking on crosstown rival IUPUI on Wednesday (Oct. 23) at Kuntz Stadium. Match time is slated for 7 p.m.