Raynauld Scores No. 1 Singles Win, But Bulldogs Fall To Purdue 6-1
Jan. 27, 2008
West Lafayette, Ind. - Ben Raynauld scored a victory over Slavko Bijelica at No. 1 singles, but the Bulldogs were unable to score the team win as host Purdue tallied a 6-1 decision over Butler on Sunday (Jan. 27).
Raynauld opened up with a 6-4 win in the opening set of the match before coming up just short in the second set, falling 7-6 (8-6). The Butler sophomore took care of things in the final set, however, topping Bijelica 10-7.
Unfortunately for the Bulldogs, the Boilermakers would prove to be too much in the remaining five singles bouts, as Purdue claimed five two-set wins. Freshman Chris Herron put up a strong showing at No. 2 singles but came up just short of P.J. Rose, 6-4, 7-6 (7-2).
The Bulldogs return to action on Feb. 2 when they take on Kentucky beginning at 11:00 a.m.
1. Raynauld, Ben (BUTL-M) def. Slavko Bijelica (PUR) 6-4, 6-7 (6-8), 10-7
2. P.J. Rose (PUR) def. Herron, Chris (BUTL-M) 6-4, 7-6 (7-2)
3. Eric Ramos (PUR) def. Warren, Bryce (BUTL-M) 6-3, 6-3
4. Griff Nienberg (PUR) def. Bayliss, Brandon (BUTL-M) 6-1, 6-4
5. Paul Foley (PUR) def. Brown, Sam (BUTL-M) 6-1, 6-2
6. Eren Turkmenler (PUR) def. Shafer, Ben (BUTL-M) 6-1, 6-1
1. P.J. Rose/Eric Ramos (PUR) def. RAYNAULD, Ben/WARREN, Bryce (BUTL-M) 8-1
2. Slavko Bijelica/Jose Fuemayor (PUR) def. HERRON, Chris/SHAFER, Ben (BUTL-M) 8-3
3. Paul Foley/Griff Nienberg (PUR) def. BROWN, Sam/BAYLISS, Brandon (BUTL-M) 8-1