Late Rally Lifts Cardinals by Butler

Sept. 2, 2004

Ball State scored twice in the last seven minutes of Thursday's match to overcome a 1-0 Butler lead and take a 2-1 decision over the Bulldogs at Varsity Field. Sophomore Kristin Harnest put the home team ahead 68 minutes into the match with her first goal of the season. With the loss, the Bulldogs drop to 1-2 on the season, while the Cardinals improve to 3-0. In the 69th minute, the Bulldogs played a ball long for junior forward Meredith Buemi. Ball State goalie Alison Becker came out of the box to play the ball and the ball eventually ended up at the feet of Butler's Caitlin Gill, who had her shot from 25 yards out blocked by a Cardinal defender. Harnest one-timed the ball into the right side of the goal from outside the box as no Cardinal defender was able to get back to cover the open net. The goal was Harnest's first of the season. After a Butler foul in the 84th minute, the Cardinals' Krista Mitts served a ball into the box that found the foot of Amy Holst. She punched the ball into the net and tied the match at one. In the final minute, the Cardinals pressed forward and earned a corner kick, which Kate Nadalin crossed into the box. Ball State's Gretchen Echelbarger finished the play with just 30 seconds left in the match, giving the Cardinals a 2-1 win. "It's disappointing to play solid soccer for close to 90 minutes against a great Ball State team and have two breakdowns on set plays cost you like they did," said coach Woody Sherwood. "It will be a good test for our young team to see how well they bounce back from this devastating loss." Becker got the win for the Cardinals, making one save and allowing the Bulldogs' lone goal. She improves to 3-0 on the young season. For Butler, freshman Annalise Larkin took the loss to fall to 0-1, making four saves in playing all 90 minutes of action. The Bulldogs continue their homestand Sunday, welcoming another in-state rival to Varsity Field. The match against Indiana State is set to start at 2 p.m.