BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - The Butler women's tennis team opened the 2010 season at nationally-ranked Indiana Sunday, losing 7-0 to the No. 46 Hoosiers.
The Bulldogs' best singles effort came at No. 3 from senior Molly Casperson. She took IU's Katya Zapadalova to a first-set tiebreaker 7-6 (7-3) before falling in the second set 6-1. Each Butler player fell in straight sets.
Casperson and fellow senior Becky Jenkins had Butler's best doubles showing, dropping an 8-5 match to Leslie Hureau and Myriam Sopel.
Butler (0-1) will return to the court Friday, Jan. 22 at Louisville at 6 p.m.
No. 46 Indiana 7, Butler 0
1. Evgeniya Vertesheva (IND) def. Gabrielle Bobrowski (BUTLER) 6-0, 6-0
2. Leslie Hureau (IND) def. Natali Jaimes (BUTLER) 6-1, 6-0
3. Katya Zapadalova (IND) def. Molly Casperon (BUTLER) 7-6 (7-3), 6-1
4. Lindsey Stuckey (IND) def. Becky Jenkins (BUTLER) 6-1, 6-1
5. Myriam Sopel (IND) def. Cam Thompson (BUTLER) 6-0, 6-4
6. Maria Guerreiro (IND) def. Brittany Farmer (BUTLER) 6-4, 6-0
1. Leslie Hureau/Myriam Sopel (IU) def. Molly Casperon/Becky Jenkins (BU) 8-5
2. Lindsey Stuckey/Evgeniya Vertesheva (IU) def. Gabrielle Bobrowski/Natali Jaimes (BU) 8-1
3. Maria Guerreiro/Katya Zapadalova (IU) def. Cam Thompson/Brittany Farmer (BU) 8-2